Worry is something we take!
So how much worry should I invest in tomorrow? None? Not even for Food or Clothing? Does God want me to run around naked and starving?
That is precisely why it is a waste of energy to worry about these things–my heavenly father knows that I need these.
Besides, I have enough “evil” to deal with today, and God will give me no grace to take on things that are none of my business and all His business. “Worrying is carrying tomorrow’s load with today’s strength. Worrying doesn’t empty tomorrow of its sorrow, it empties today of its strength.” ― Corrie ten Boom
What is the difference between useful stress that is my business and useless stress I need to let go of?
1.Thinking about big bad unfair horrible dangerous awful problems that I can do nothing about. (I need to spot myself worrying and ask myself, “Really, Is it my job to do something about that right now?”) PS: that may be the single most important sentence in the English language right after, Lord save me from my sin.
2.Taking things that I can do something about and making them bigger than they are. (“Who’s going to die? Is that situation or problem bigger than God?)
3. Continuing to fuss with problems when I have done what I can because the result was not perfect. (The results are God’s)
4. Handling everything myself without asking for help from others. ( The extra stress of going it alone is wasted stress. All of God’s commands in the New Testament are given in the plural, “You and your support team”)
5. Forgetting to say Thanks! Help! and Show me my part. (These prayers put my attitude in the right place and decrease the stress load.)
6. Putting off dealing with what God has given me to do today. (Now is the accepted time, delayed obedience is disobedience, the added days of worry and the worsening of the problem are wasted stress generators.)
7. Stuffing: this means that I have done our part, I have accepted the fact that it did not fix the problem and now I harbor resentment at myself for my weakness, at others for not co-operating, and at the way things are (God) because I could not control the outcome.
Things I can’t control that belong to God who seldom does things my way. (He is not a tame lion, he is totally wild doing what he wants when he wants how he want. It just happens to turn out for my blessing.):
A. I can’t control other’s insides, attitudes, beliefs, opinions etc.
B. The past or future
C.My intelligence, height, race, age, family of origin, health, time in history.( Luke 12:25 And which of you with taking thought can add to his stature one cubit?).
D. The economy, weather, stop lights, kids being kids,
E. Everything, is beyond my control! John 15:5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
I must tie all these to the horns of the altar of God’s sovereignty and rest in peace that I am a success when I have tried. SUCCESS=OBEDIENCE. Results are none of my business.
Casting all my cares on him because he really really likes me and tackling the things God has given me to do today. Yielding my body members so God can speak and act into those problems. Asking others for help and leaving